Friday, November 16, 2012

12 Daze Brew - Part 2

Day 2 of the 12 Daze Group Brew

Woke up Sunday to a massive blow off from the 1 gallons of wort. I should have known better than to put a little 3 piece airlock on a container that was that full. Nice sticky mess all over the the place to clean up. Lovely.

So the main part of the brew was (I assumed) happily chugging away in Andrews temp controlled chest freezer fermenter. The other gallon was fermenting in my kitchen on the counter (now in a tub using the swamp cool effect to keep the temp down as my kitchen was sitting at 72).

I still didn't have any caramel flavor in my Turtle Dove brew. Time to fix that, so I dug out recipe books on how to make caramel, and looked up what makes caramel flavor instead of just burnt sugar. An hour of reading later and 3lbs of white table sugar, 1 tsp of baking powder, 1 cup water, and 1 stick of butter (butter? in a beer? Yeah, I know - we'll see) are into a 4 quart pan and bubbling away. Up to a boil and follow the recipe for "super soft and gooey" caramel. The only difference was I wasn't letting this batch set out to dry, I was mixing it back into the partially fermented 1 gallon's of wort. I transferred the liquid from the  small container into a 2 gallon glass jug, poured in the caramel, and put the 2 gallon jug into the rubbermaid bucket full of iced water and let that get back to fermenting.

The small batch with caramel fermented SUPER quick, I didn't measure the gravity on it but it doesn't smell solventy or fusely so we'll see.

Picked up the fermented large batch from Andrew's house the other day, and brought that home so I can transfer to a 2ndary and blend with the smaller caramel batch. It smells a little hoppier than I was thinking it would turn out, hopefully the higher OG and malt bill balances it out as this is supposed to make one think of Turtle Dove Candy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment