Friday, November 16, 2012

BNektar Zombie Killer Inspired "brew"

I've been doing a lot of reading on this mead/ melomel/ cider (not sure exactly what category this fits in) but haven't been able to get a bottle of my own to try. So I figured I'd mix up a batch and see if I at least make something drinkable.

I've made a bit of mead, some have been good, some I've relegated to cooking with. But one thing I haven't done is made one with such a low ABV. This drink is only 5.5%, which is lower than most of the ciders I've made and all of the melomels and meads I've made. The actual "brew" process was quick. Sanitize everything, pour in 2 gallons of Whole Food brand Organic 365 cider, 64 ounces of 100% Tart Cherry juice, 3 lbs of Orange Blossom honey (I can't find Star Thistle) and a starter pack of Mead yeast I picked up to try.

It's been one week and damn is this tasty, but it needs more cherry flavor. Right now it's all apple. Still yeasty in the taste as well. Will add another 64 ounces of cherry juice this weekend and let that ferment out and then cold crash the whole thing. Hopefully it's a little sweet and has some cherry flavor without over powering the apple and honey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment